Last week I was looking for a dish to bring to a potluck. It had to be tasty, easy, big volume and healthy. Furthermore I also wanted to use essential oils in the dish. Looking around on pinterest I found this lovely chickpea salad by Heathers Dish. I changed the recipe a little bit and this it what I made of it.
This salat is not only very tasty but it is healthy as well. The spinach contains a lot of anti-oxidants as vitamin C (you find it also in the lime), vitamin E, beta-carotene, zinc and selenium. The chick peas are high in proteins and Chickpeas are a good source of protein. They also contain manganese and iron which will help to increase your energy. The cilantro is rich of calcium and also aids in a good digestion.
Serve it as a lunch or side dish in a lovely bow and I am sure you will impress your guests with those wonderful flavours.
- 400 gram soaked chickpeas ( keep the liquid on the side)
- 1 red onion in little pieces
- 200 gram washed spinach
- 1 red onion, chopped in little pieces
- 1 bunch of cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 Lime or 5 drops of lime essential oil
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 tbsp grounded cumin
- 1 tbsp grounded coriander
- 1/2 tbsp grounded chilli powder
- salt & pepper
Preparation (15 minutes):
1. Chop the spinach really fine in a food processor
2. Mix the chopped spinach with the chickpeas and the onions.
3. Use the food processor again by combining the cilantro, lime, olive oil, honey, mustard, garlic clove, cumin, coriander & chilli powder. Pulse until you have a smooth pesto. Add some of the liquid of the chickpeas if the pesto is too thick.
4. Mix the pesto with the chickpea, spinach and onions.
You can serve the salat immediately.
If you make it a few hours before you serve it the flavours will mix even better. The next day the salat tastes even better.
Let me know if you liked it